Questions that need to be addressed prior to publication
- What submission method will be used?
- What version of the paper will be made available on PMC?
- Who will submit the paper?
- Who will approve the submission?
- When can the paper be made public on PMC?
Step One: Determine Applicability
Does the NIH Public Access Policy apply to your paper? Was your paper the result of NIH funds?
The NIH Policy applies to ANY manuscript that:
- Is peer-reviewed, AND;
- Is accepted for publication in a journal on or after April 7, 2008.
- Any direct funding from an NIH grant or cooperative agreement active in Fiscal Year 2008 or beyond, OR;
- Any direct funding from an NIH contract signed on or after April 7, 2008, OR;
- Any direct funding from the NIH Intramural Program, OR;
- An NIH employee.
Step Two: Address Copyright
Ensure your publishing agreement allows the paper/manuscript to be posted to PMC (PubMed Central) in accordance with the policy. Before you sign an author agreement or copyright transfer agreement, make sure the publisher allows the paper/manuscript to be submitted to PMC.