Faculty Development in Simulation-based Teaching
As competencies in teaching skills are increasingly valued, the MGH Learning Laboratory is dedicated to advancing the MGH educational mission through coordinated support of both clinician development and educator development. The Learning Lab’s Education Specialist and expert faculty are committed to meeting the professional development needs of MGH faculty, fellows, and resident trainees and nursing staff. The MGH Learning Lab offers a series of scheduled sessions and on-demand instructor workshops on the following topics
Designing a Simulation Session
- Defining the learning needs and accessing the MGH Learning Lab.
- Scheduling resources and training personnel for the session and debriefing.
- Thinking ahead about assessment
Simulation Debriefing Basics
- Understanding experiential learning and the clinician/learner
- Basic principles of debriefing as opportunities for learning
- Practical examples and common problems
Teaching Skills using Task-trainers
- Defining the learning needs and expected outcomes
- Educational principles and giving effective feedback
- Practice vs. evaluation
- Types of learning outcomes
- Matching assessment methods with outcome measures
- Continuous improvement for the course and program
- Tying assessment to scholarship
The MGH Learning Lab collaborates with regional organizations for advanced faculty development in Simulation Training. Partnering with the Center for Medical Simulation, the Harvard Macy Institute, and the MGH Institute of Health Professions, clinician-educators desiring to further their educational expertise in simulation may explore the following opportunities:
- Comprehensive Instructor course (Center for Medical Simulation): This week-long intensive course is designed to immerse clinician/educators in educational principles, evidence-based best practices in simulation-based learning, and hands-on opportunities to gain skills in using debriefing as an effective learning environment.
- Educator Course for Health Professionals (Harvard Macy Institute): This course offers an in-depth exploration of pedagogy, cognition and learning, educational principles in the health professions context, and foundational concepts of learning assessment.
- Certificate of Advanced Studies with concentration in health care simulation (MGH Institute of Health Professions): As the graduate school founded by the Massachusetts General Hospital, The MGH Institute offers a three course (9 credit) certificate of completion and a 5 course (15 credit) Certificate of Advanced Studies. Both offer a practicum and mentorship, paired with part-time on-line learning.
- Master of Science in Health Professions Education - MS-HPEd (MGH Institute of Health Professions): As one of the first masters degrees for simulation-based education in the nation, this program is designed to meet the needs of clinician/educators who desire a formal course of study in educational methods that advances the study of teaching and learning into research methods and scholarship. As an articulated program of study, both the Comprehensive Instructor Workshop and the Harvard Macy Institute courses are accepted toward this degree.
Please contact the MGH Learning Lab to discuss your personal or departmental faculty development needs (MGHSimulation@partners.org).