QUOSA at MGH
Treadwell Library is pleased to offer, to the MGH Community, QUOSA Information Manager, a desktop application for managing your personal biomedical literature collection.
What is QUOSA?
QUOSA is desktop software for searching, analyzing, monitoring, and organizing the biomedical literature and your personal PDFs, Word documents, and PowerPoint slides.
QUOSA enhances PubMed and Ovid MEDLINE searching and what you can do with the results.
• Links to MGH and HMS eJournals. Each full-text article is retrieved separately.
PubMed/Ovid MEDLINE with QUOSA:
• Retrieves and stores all available full-text articles at one time.
• Displays the sentences where key terms are found within the citation.
• Provides easy update of a search on your schedule.
• Searches keywords in the abstract, MEDLINE fields, and MeSH headings.
PubMed/Ovid MEDLINE with QUOSA:
• Allows for easy, powerful searching within the retrieved results.
• Suggests other key concepts that you might add to your search.
With QUOSA you can search shared drives for documents, PDFs and slides.
With QUOSA you have a seamless link between your PubMed/Ovid MEDLINE citations and your citation manager.
To start using this product, download the applicable version (for PC or Mac) of the QUOSA software using the link below. You must download and register from your MGH workstation, providing your full name, Partners or MGH email address and the name of your P.I. (or department).
QUOSA Information Manager for PC (launches installation file)
QUOSA Information Manager for Mac (launches installation file)
Treadwell's QUOSA subscription allows you to use it on two different computers, so you can download once at your MGH workstation and once at home or on your laptop.
Browser Pane - The main part of the QUOSA window where you view the text of articles or search PubMed, Ovid and other channels.
Channel - A database, such as PubMed or Ovid, from which QUOSA can batch-retrieve a set of search results.
Citation Manager - Software that maintains libraries of citations, such as RefWorks or EndNote.
Organizer Pane - The left part of the QUOSA window where articles are organized into sections called My Searches, My Alerts, My Folders and My Citations.
Results Pane - The upper part of the QUOSA window (above the Browser Pane) that displays search results or summary information of a folder of articles.
Sigma/Retrieve - The button used to batch-retrieve articles from your search results.
Toolbar - The top of the Browser Pane where the functions for (among other things) the retrieval, printing and navigation of articles are located.
QUOSA IM - QUOSA Information Manager. This is the standard QUOSA.
QUOSA VL - QUOSA Virtual Library. This is an add-on component to the standard QUOSA that facilitates department-wide sharing of files stored on a server, rather than on your computer.
New versions of QUOSA are released periodically, and users are highly encouraged to use the latest version whenever possible. New versions usually include updates necessary to accommodate changes to the databases/platforms/publisher sites that QUOSA IM is integrated with, improvements to QUOSA’s performance, and new features.
QUOSA upgrades on PCs will happen automatically when QUOSA is open but idle.
To check if updates are available and to download them, use the “Check for Updates” option:
- On QUOSA IM’s Main Menu, click Help > Check for Updates...
- If a new version is available, the “Update is Available” dialog will appear specifying the version you have and the new version available. Click Yes to download the latest version.
- If a new version is not available, a pop-up will appear with the message, “There are no new updates available.”