Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Importing Citations Into Zotero
1. Open Zotero. From the File menu in the upper left hand corner, select Import.
2. A window asking "Where do you want to import from?" will pop up. Select A file and click Next.
3. Select a file you exported from RefWorks and click Open.
4. A dialogue box with the option "Place imported collections and items into a new collection" will appear. You have two choices:
- Leave this option checked if you would like Zotero to place your citations into a new, automatically created folder. (Folders are called "collections" in Zotero)
- Or, uncheck this box if you would prefer the citations to be imported into the "Unfiled Items" area of your Zotero library.
Once you have made your selection, click Next.
5. Your references are now imported into Zotero.
- If you opted to have Zotero create a new collection for your citations, you may rename it if you wish by right clicking on the collection in the left sidebar and selecting Rename Collection. The default name of the collection is the same as the name of the file you imported.