The Bellack Library has decided to discontinue our RefWorks subscription effective December 31, 2019. As such, all current and alumni users will need to move their references to another reference manager. Unfortunately, only references can be migrated. PDFs and any other attachments will not automatically transfer and will need to be reattached separately.
Library Staff recommend switching to Zotero, a free and open source reference manager. However, current faculty, staff and student also have the option of purchasing Endnote at a discount through Partners Research Information Science & Computing. How to purchase, install and get support with Endnote.
If you're ready to switch to Zotero, the migration is a two step process.
Keep reading for instructions on how to migrate. Or Ask a Librarian for help. We can sit down with you in person (or via Zoom) and help make the migration seamless.
Still using Legacy RefWorks? Follow the export directions for Legacy RefWorks.
If you want to maintain the same folder structure in your new reference manager, you should export your citations from RefWorks one folder at a time.
It's recommended that you save each export file created below with the name of the folder, so each is easily identifiable when importing to your new reference manager.
If you don't need to maintain the same folder structure in your new reference manager, exporting your citations all at once is a much quicker option.
1. Open Zotero. From the File menu in the upper left hand corner, select Import.
2. A window asking "Where do you want to import from?" will pop up. Select A file and click Next.
3. Select a file you exported from RefWorks and click Open.
4. A dialogue box with the option "Place imported collections and items into a new collection" will appear. You have two choices:
Once you have made your selection, click Next.
5. Your references are now imported into Zotero.