On October 16, 1846, MGH co-founder Dr. John Collins Warren removed a small tumor from the neck of Gilbert Abbott after an anesthetic agent provided by Boston dentist William T. G. Morton had been used. This was the first successful public demonstration of the use of ether as an anesthetic agent.
Many articles, books, and book chapters have been written about this event, and several films have been made. All histories of MGH include information about the use of ether.
For more information: